Prioritize the Right Things to Get More Done this Summer!
There is so much to do to get ready for the next school year. And it never feels like you have enough time. It can be overwhelming at times and maybe even stressful. How do you get it all done?
Here’s a quick video I did on our Facebook page about a system I use every single time I need to prioritize and choose the RIGHT things to get done. I find that I get MORE DONE...It's amazing!
Here’s all the steps to the Traffic Light Priority System I mentioned in the video above.
c. Use paper that is already red, yellow, and green
3. Get a folder to hold all your yellow & red cards.
4. Make a complete list of everything you want to accomplish on a sheet a paper or type it on your computer.
5. Categorize each item into greens, yellows, and reds.
a. Green items are all the things you must get done right away.
b. Yellow items are things that are important to get done, but can wait until all the green items are done.
c. Red items are things that are not a must or necessity to get done. It can wait for a while. Maybe it’s a wish list item that it’s ok if it doesn’t get done.
6. Put all your yellow and red items in your folder for safe keeping. One pocket for the yellow items and one pocket for the red items. Close the folder and put it away so you can’t visually see them. You don’t want those to distract you from your goal ... which is to get all the green items done first.
7. Take all your green items and count them up. If you have so many that you feel you can’t get them all done in one day, then only choose the RIGHT amount that you know will get done that day. Save the rest for the next day. Continue until all the green items are done.
8. Now you can move to your yellow items.
9. When your yellow items are done, you can finally move to your red items. But only if you have time and don’t have something else more important to accomplish.
You can apply this traffic light priority system to pretty much anything. To your personal life and your professional life.
When I think of when you might use it for your personal life:
And you might use it in your professional life when you are thinking about:
I know there is a lot to do this summer to get ready for next school year. But you can prioritize and focus on the RIGHT things that need to be done. I encourage you to find a system that works best for you so that you can get MORE done. I would love to hear if you have another system that helps you prioritize and get things done.
Let’s get a lot done before school starts up again,